quilt banner

quilt banner

Tabs

Monday, October 3, 2022

Modern Flying Geese (part 1)

I love the flying geese block. I especially love them when they're modern. 
Take a look at these great examples:

by Laurel Krynock of Sing All You Want
by Laurel Krynock of Sing All You Want (used with permission )

"Flying Dutchman" by Cath at Wombat Quilts (used with permission )

 by Megan at Canoe Ridge Creations (used with permission )

Try searching Pinterest for "modern flying geese" or check out my board for more examples:


My fascination with modern flying geese caused me to look at the ways they can be constructed. I never expected to find EIGHT methods. Who would have guessed? So, being the investigator that I am, I set out to find my favorite method. Here is the summary of my results:

Methods
  1. Traditional method:  find directions on Quilter's Cache here.
    pros: no wasted fabric, not confusing to sew
    cons: blocks are sewn together on the stretchy bias grain which can be problematic
  2. Five Squares, No Waste Method: find directions on Block a Day here.
    pros: no wasted fabric, no sewing on cut bias edges
    cons: gives 4 identical blocks which you might not want, steps are not intuitive, blocks may not end up perfectly sized
  3. Two Squares Method: find directions on Connecting Threads here.
    pros: very little wasted fabric, allows for blocks to be trimmed to exact size after sewing
    cons: gives 4 identical blocks which you might not want, steps are not intuitive
  4. Traditional Foundation Paper Piecing: find a video by Connecting Threads here
    pros: perfect results, can use any combination of fabrics, multiple blocks are constructed and sewn together simultaneously
    cons: can be confusing for some people, sewing paper dulls your needle fast, picking off the paper afterwards is tedious, wastes a lot of fabric unless you are a genius
  5. Paperless Paper Piecing / Glue basting: (created by Sharon Schamber & Cristy Fincher, see here.)
    This page shows the technique, you'll need to already have a foundation paper piecing flying geese pattern to use.
    pros: perfect results like traditional foundation paper piecing, but no paper to tear off & less wasted fabric
     cons: a lot of steps, may be confusing for some people, more time consuming than traditional foundation paper piecing, I had a hard time getting the first few pieces attached
  6. No Tear, Freezer Paper Piecing: find a tutorial on Scrapendipity here.
    pros:  perfect results, no paper to tear off, can use any combination of fabrics, multiple blocks are constructed and sewn together simultaneously
    cons: can be confusing for some people, some fabric waste
  7. Stitch 'n Flip: find a video by Pat Sloan here.
    pros: easy to understand,  no sewing on cut bias edges, can use any combination of fabrics
    cons: blocks are constructed just one at a time, some fabric waste
  8. One-Seam Method: find a tutorial from Quiddity Quilts here.
    pros: fun and easy to sew, creates a dimensional goose
    cons: creates a dimensional goose that should be top stitched, wastes some fabric
So what method would I use? Here are my choices:
  • If I can use 4 of the same geese, I would definitely use the two squares method.  It produces good results with little waste
  • If my geese need to be different, and I don't want to waste much fabric, I would use the stitch 'n flip method
  • If my geese need to be different, and fabric waste is not a concern, I would use the no-tear freezer paper piecing method. 
I've created the following cutting chart for making 4 identical 4" x 8" finished flying geese blocks using two colors of fabric only. 

Click here for PDF version for printing

Here are some sample block ideas using 2-5 fabrics each:


I hope you are enjoying modern flying geese quilts as much as I am! Enjoy!