quilt banner

quilt banner

Tabs

Sunday, October 2, 2022

Modern Flying Geese (part 2) Curved Flying Geese

This April, my goal was to teach the Santa Rosa Modern Quilters
how to draft and paper piece modern curved flying geese.

photo by me, Becky Biddle, "Always Sew Busy"

Doesn't that adorable pouch make you want to learn this technique?
If it doesn't, then check out these other projects using curved rows of flying geese. I am in love!

Follow Becky's board Curved flying geese on Pinterest.


To get everyone thinking along the right path during our meeting, I went over a basic method for drawing a straight row of flying geese that could be used for paper piecing.

photo by me, Becky Biddle, "Always Sew Busy"

Once everyone understood the concept, we moved onto the curve. Every single person
(even the skeptics) successfully drew their very own, custom, curved flying geese pattern!
They did great, I'm so proud of everyone!

photos by me, Becky Biddle, "Always Sew Busy"


My other goal was to teach them how to turn that curved row of flying geese into that cute zippered pouch shown at the top of the post. I didn't get the chance to teach the pouch and zipper, but a few of them figured it out using this video from Missouri Star Quilt Company: 



Here are some of the completed pouches from the ladies:
photos by me, Becky Biddle, "Always Sew Busy"

I also referred the class to two other tutorials to complete their bags. In the first option, the bag opens as wide as possible, without the zipper getting in the way. This is the method I used for the sample, and can be found in a free tutorial by Anna Graham at Noodlehead:

photo by me, Becky Biddle, "Always Sew Busy"

For the second option, I used a method that is super easy for those who aren't very comfortable with zippers yet. I used the free tutorial for "Easy Zippy Pouches" from Dog Under My Desk:

photo by me, Becky Biddle, "Always Sew Busy"

Little pouches like these always make great gifts. Adding the curved row of flying geese makes it extra special! I plan to make a few more for some people on my gift list this year. Or possibly add flying geese to a purse or tote for myself :)